I was out last night - a couple of girlfriends and I snuck off for an early dinner and to see Bridesmaids. I haven't laughed that much in so long. At some points I was literally gasping for breath. Not least because one of the friends in question is a snorter. She laughs nicely most of the time but when something's really funny, she snorts. Which makes everyone around her laugh too. Which makes her laugh more. You get where this is going right? The movie was hilarious, we laughed, she snorted, we laughed more and then something else funny happened and we did it all over again. I came home seriously exhausted! But in the best way. Anyway, the film was great. Definitely not high brow, totally lived up to expectations of a review I'd read that described it as "a blokes movie for chicks" and if you're even remotely conservative or easily offended I wouldn't suggest you see it. But we loved it.
No pictures for tonight's recipe. I've made this one a few times and each time it gets polished up. Even Little Miss Fussy likes it! You can add vegetables and really flesh out the dish or, as I do, steam some beans and carrots to go with them. This really is a cheap and cheerful dish and is lovely on a cold night.
Slow Cooked Curried Sausages
1 packet of sausages (I just grab a pack of 8 or so sausages from the the grocery store)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 green apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tin diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock
1. Switch slow cooker onto low and spray inside of cooker with canola oil.
2. Cut your sausages apart and put them in a big pot of boiling water. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes then drain and leave to cool slightly.
3. While sausages are cooling, heat oil in pan and saute onion. Add curry powder and apple and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two until aromatic. Add tomato and stock. Set aside
4. Peel skin off sausages (they'll come off pretty easily) and chop each sausages into four or five pieces. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Pour curry mix over the top.
5. Cook on low for 4 hours.
6. Serve with rice, and steamed vegies if you wish.